Comentarios semanales sobre temas de actualidad. Los comentarios se publican todos los lunes, en inglés y en español. Visite los archivos ("Archives") para leer los comentarios anteriores.
Weekly commentaries on current issues. Commentaries are posted every Monday, in English and Spanish. Please, read our previous commentaries in the Archive section.
As a public service and to save time to our readers, we are talking the liberty of sharing here a list of reasons (excuses?) to avoid paying attention to the future and, therefore, to avoid preparing for a future that is no longer continuity of the past and to stop others, mostly our families and communities, from preparing themselves.
All these reasons were recently expressed at different meetings by real persons. They are presented here in no particular order:
- âThat day I will have a family reunionâ.
- âI already learned it 40 years agoâ.
- âThis is not what my grandmother told meâ.
- âThe weather report says it will be very cold that dayâ.
- âThe weather report says it will be very hot that dayâ.
- âTwo days later it will be national holidayâ.
- âI donât go alone at nightâ.
- âI donât like that part of townâ.
- âIf it is free, then it is not good at allâ.
- âIt will never happen. God will not allow itâ.
- âI have to take my son to a doctorâs appointmentâ.
- âI am too tired after workâ.
- âMy husband/wife prefers not to talk about those topicsâ.
- âIt will be a long time before the future arrivesâ.
- âArtificial Intelligence is just a creation of Hollywoodâ.
- âI saw a movie about thatâ.
- âI donât believe what media says about the futureâ.
- âThis is not true because there was nothing on the news about itâ.
- âI asked my pastor/priest and he said he didnât know what I was talking aboutâ.
- âThe future doesnât existâ.
- âThere is no need to worry now about something it could never happenâ.
- âI have plenty of time before the future arriveâ.
- âMany smart people are already addressing the problem. I donât need to do itâ.
- âWhat would I say to my children if they ask me?â
- âThis is a difficult topic. I donât have time to study itâ.
- âI donât need to prepare for the future. I will not what to doâ.
- âMy children will take care of meâ.
- âThe government will find the way to help us. Thatâs why we voted for them.â
- âThings change slowly. We have enough time to prepareâ.
- âI donât even belong to the present, much less to the futureâ. Â
- âThe end of the world could happen tomorrow, so, no need to worryâ.
- âGive me the short version of the topic. Thatâs everything I needâ.
- âMy friends will laugh at meâ.
- âIf I like to topic, I will find it onlineâ.
- âI donât want problems with anybodyâ.
- âI already help and respect othersâ.
- âLetâs talk in two weeks from nowâ.
The list could grow almost indefinitely. We hope the few examples listed above will be useful to the readers when looking for reasons (excuses?) to avoid the future or any other topic.Â